Have not been on the internets much recently: came down with a cold, and then went up to my parents' for Easter and did not take my laptop. Excitingly, whilst I was there, Chicks Unravel Time was nominated for a Hugo
! Gosh. (The only other thing I have read in that category was Chicks Dig Comics
, which I also really liked. Go Mad Norwegian Press!)
Also over the last week I...
- played the piano! I'd forgotten how much fun "I Dreamed A Dream" is to play, even though I am not as good at it as I used to be (I used to know the entire first page off by heart, so I could start on page two and not have to turn over). When I am grown up I shall have a piano, and also possibly lessons, because I am not that great at it.
- went to see Richard III at the Tobacco Factory, which was really excellent. I don't know the play at all, nor much about the history, so didn't really know what to expect, but it was great, and contained more black humour and good parts for women than I was expecting. I'm going to see the other half of the Shakespeare season, Two Gentlemen of Verona, in a few weeks and am now looking forward to it even more. (I also have a spare ticket to it that I'm trying to sell; give me a shout if you think you might want it!)
- watched the first six episodes of Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes
, and became very enthusiastic about it. The first episode in particular was very good, and I like that they're bringing up themes of power, responsibility, and whether the ends justify the means without going all grimdark about it. Also Wasp is the MOST ADORABLE, my goodness, tiny and tough and competent and AMAZING. (Thor is definitely second in the adorableness stakes, as is right and proper.)
- read the third issue of Young Avengers
, which I feel has really hit its stride: it had all the humour and pace and heart of the first two issues, but felt a lot more substantial than they did and therefore banished the tiny voice in the back of my mind that was going "I paid TWO POUNDS AND TEN PENCE for this". Good.
- watched "The Bells of Saint John": ( minor spoilers )
- caught up with veritypodcast
, which is A Good Thing and makes me feel very happy to be part of Doctor Who fandom. This week's episode was an excellent discussion of season 7a, which I had to pause briefly to watch two of such_heights
's great season 7 vids, I am destroyer I am lover
(I would have watched Dinosaurs On A Spaceship
and As Cold As It Gets
too but they weren't on my ipod for some reason). I feel a lot more warmly towards "Asylum of the Daleks" than I did when it was first broadcast, because "I am destroyer I am lover" is so sharp and cool and interesting, and "Sunday" just fills me with many Pond-related feelings. ♥
Now I am away to catch up on DW/LJ/reply to things/generally make my life less of a disorganised mess than it currently is. I may be some time.